pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New version of pan ?

From: Valeryan_24
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New version of pan ?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:52:37 +0100

Hi Duncan,

Thanks a lot for your quick and complete reply.

Your mail confirmed what I was afraid of, not seeing any news about another Pan release since last summer discussions. That's also one of the limits of FLOSS, some excellent programs, really useful, depend from only 1 person, and when (s)he has no more time / willing / ability to continue, often even with available source code, projects stops... Sometimes there are fork, or months after a new developer comes, for programs which are common (like twitter clients, clipboards managers), you can find easily another one still active, even if it was not your preferred one.

But for newsreader, as you wrote it, choice is very limited, that's why I'm also sad to see Pan so "quiet". I think that Usenet is not going to die immediately, it still has a great interest, but you're right Linux newsreader offer is getting old.

As I told in my first post, I have zero knowledge about programming, I am an "advanced" user but not developer. Yes regarding patches, I was referring to K.Haley ones, because I read on the mailing list he had helped a lot to improve Pan, and yours - I should really try to learn how to use Git to update programs used... I just run Ubuntu official repositories and maintainers ppa to install and update the softs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your last paragraph seems to confirm what I think, as a lot of patches / improvements have already been committed to pan, perhaps it wouldn't be a too difficult or long task to compile them to have a new version of the program ? I don't know how it works, so this is really a basic question.

Perhaps it is "boring" or so... In this case, would it be possible to find this White Knight at least to package existing code, with a financial help (like bounty features payment) ?

I mean, I'm unable to code any row, but the way I try to help opensource softwares, in addition to use them and tell my friends / coworkers on their interest and philosophy, is to report bugs, participate in wikis, documentations, french translation, or do donations to developers (directly on their site, or via Flattr).

As I luckily can, regularly I do small donations to many projects, but I could also give more to one project / developer to code a soft / feature I need (but this would not be thousands $ of course...). So question is: regarding today's Pan situation, available patches / code, do you have an idea how much time it could take to update a new version and create rpm / deb packages available in last 32 & 64 main distributions, and correct future critical bugs ? Just to know if this is something realistic or utopic, if it could interest a developer with free time, a student, what it would cost etc...

I just speak here on the programming task, your mail also refers to the project leading, and that's also another responsibility.

Also, as Lacrocivious Acrophosist said, Pan 0.133 is still usable and works fine, I have no idea (because I did not read them) of what new patches / bug corrections are about, but I think : "they exist, it's a pity not to see them included in a new updated pan version". And more, seeing Pan again active, this could mean more users, motivate new people to participate.

That's why I made this post, I hope something is still possible.

Best regards,

Xavier