pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: New version of pan ?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: New version of pan ?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:55:35 +0000 (UTC)

Petr Kovar posted on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:03:30 +0100 as excerpted:

> Petr Kovar, Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:42:15 +0100:
>
>> So to sum it up, what would it take to roll out a new release and
>> distribute it to users via standard channels...
>>
>> First off, someone who eventually takes the responsibility to do the
>> release needs to have a GNOME developer account with write access to
>> ftp.gnome.org, and also Pan website (quite easily obtainable given
>> Charles' consent, that is).
>>
>> Second, one needs to merge K Haley's appropriate branch (I believe this
>> is called 'testing' in the github.com repository, please correct me if
>> I'm wrong) with the master branch in the Pan official repository at
>> git.gnome.org.
>>
>> Third, do the actual release, tag it in the repository, make tarball,
>> install it to ftp.gnome.org.
>
> Oops, now I see that Charles actually uploaded new releases to:
>
> http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/
>
> I was mistaken since there are some really historical release sources
> (up to 0.11.2) on ftp.gnome.org as well:
>
> ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pan/
>
> So that's one step less when making the release.

Yes.  Keep in mind that with gnome-1 and pan thru 0.11, pan was actually a
gnome app -- it required gnome libraries not just gtk.  With gtk2, the
reach of gtk improved enough that pan was able to drop its dependencies on
the gnome libraries and use only gtk.  Of course, it's at least possible
that I'm about the only person around here that has been using pan since
the full-gnome-1 versions, and that's new info to many readers. =:^|

That would explain why the old <=0.11 versions are up on ftp.gnome.org.

FWIW, however, pan's official git repo as well as bug tracker is still
part of gnome's git and bugzilla, respectively.  So it's someone who both
understands gnome's rules and has gnome git access (plus the willingness
to do it) that we need.

Meanwhile, khaley's git repo was originally directly cloned off the gnome
git repo, I believe.  Khaley has done some preliminary work with Charles,
and has several branches setup, including the testing I run and a more
stable to-release branch.  Charles has in fact offered khaley co-commit
rights (much as Chris had for some time, tho Chris seems to have lost
interest and moved on as well) or even project head developer, but for
whatever reason, it seems that while khaley's fine working on his (her?)
own git repo and was even OK with having Charles take his to-release
branch and basically release it as-is, he's drawing the line at actual
gnome access, which he's apparently not interested in for whatever
personal reasons.  <shrug>  Maybe there's some history of some sort there
that few are privy to.  Whatever.  That seems to be the line.

So basically, what's needed is someone willing to take the official
responsibility for at minimum, doing the git-pull from khaley's to-release
(or whatever it's called, IDR and I'm too lazy to check my local clone
ATM) branch into gnome's official git repo, plus some sort of coordination
on bugs, etc.  Of course to do that you have to become an officially
recognized gnome dev or whatever, but it sounds like you're pretty much
there (as a translater if I recall) already.

Then someone needs to do at least minimal basic web site maintenance as
well.  IIRC Charles said pan.rebelbase may well remain available, altho he
hasn't checked in with the rebelbase main domain folks in awhile.  But at
least Charles has no problem with whoever takes over pan getting it,
anyway.  Or, it can be moved, and presumably, Charles would consider some
sort of forwarding for pan.rebelbase, at least for a year or two (again,
assuming the rebelbase main domain folks don't mind), seeing how long that
has been in pan's about box.

FWIW, a new pan primary dev could in theory take pan in an entirely new
direction.  Of course there's a few things that if changed would pretty
much drive off many current users.  For me personally, that would include
at least the following three possibilities: (1) deemphasizing pan's GNKSA
rating, (2) (non-optionally) switching pan back to full gnome
dependencies, (3) switching development focus to the MS Windows port.  If
any of those three were to happen, I'd be looking elsewhere (or simply
give up on news).  Similarly, altho it'd be great by me, I expect a lot of
others would be looking elsewhere were pan to switch to say a qt or worse
yet, kde base, from the present gtk.

Anyway, if you're interested in trying to be that gnome-front-end person,
I'd definitely suggest contacting khaley personally, to see what sort of
deal you might be able to setup.  You'll eventually need to contact
Charles as well, but that can probably wait until after you've talked to
khaley.  If that bit won't work for whatever reason, no need to bother
Charles (tho it's possible he'll pop in here with a post or two... or not).