pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: New version of pan ?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: New version of pan ?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:28:08 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson posted on Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:07:27 -0600 as excerpted:

> On 01/17/2011 02:17 AM, Robert Marshall wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, Duncan wrote:
>>
>>> Maurice Batey posted on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:12:16 +0000 as excerpted:

>>> [H]ave you checked [gmane]?
>>>
>> I can see the following
>>
>> gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.announce
>> gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.devel
>> gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.general
>>
>> so I guess the answer is yes!
>>
> The .general list seems to suddenly *stop* in March-2010.  Very odd.

Isn't virtual-box a former Sun, now Oracle product?  Might that be due to
the switchover?

If so, someone familiar with the lists needs to post the updated address
information to the gmane.discuss group/list with a request to transfer
it.  (As with most news servers, subscribing to the local server
discussion list is useful.  I see requests for list transfers appear and
get processed reasonably frequently.)

Of course as I said before, if the list admin doesn't want gmane carrying
it, gmane won't.  Maybe Oracle doesn't?  But I did a search on "virtual"
in the subject for gmane.discuss and turned up only a single spam, so I'm
guessing it's simply that no one has requested the transfer for those
lists/groups yet.

Meanwhile, as mentioned but worth repeating, be sure and read the site
before trying to post to a list/newsgroup using gmane.  Gmane has its own
address verification on top of what the list itself may have, and it's
quite common for new gmane users to get a bit confused when they've
authorized an address for either the list or thru gmane but not both.  Ask
either here or on gmane.discuss if you have questions about it, but it
really is worth reading the site first, as most questions are dealt with
there, tho an occasional clarification may be useful.

As for the pan-user list/group specifically, as I mention, I use gmane for
that, too.  Just keep in mind that if you're using pan for this group/list
and it breaks, you may not be able to access the list thru your broken pan
to ask how to fix things.  If you expect you can fix things on your own in
such a case, no problem, and of course there's the gmane web interface as
well as falling back to email, if the problem's bad enough, but some may
prefer to keep pan's user list as an exception, using mail for it, just in
case.