pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: New User Question

From: Juan Wei
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: New User Question
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:48:08 -0500

Duncan has written on 1/29/2011 3:26 AM:
Juan Wei posted on Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:19:23 -0500 as excerpted:

> I have the latest pan on Ubuntu 10.10 but it does not have a "Filters"
> thingy on the menu line.
>
> Don't I need that to make a "kill" file or is there another way?
>
> Thanks.

Filters aren't on the menu line, and indeed, don't exist per se.

I got that impression from http://pan.rebelbase.com/screenshots/read.png where "Filter" is displayed between "View" and "Go".
What pan
uses instead of filters is "scoring".  Where filters are binary (killed/
normal, tho pan uses ignored in place of killed) or trinary (ignored/
normal/watched), scoring is much more flexible, allowing a range of values
with incremental results such that any individual score might not result
in an ignored or watched post, but the sum of several scores may still
result in that.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of scoring. As my wife would say, TMI. All I'm looking for a way to prevent posts from certain individuals from appearing in the list of articles.

Can you help me with that?

Thanks again.