pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New Feature - Uploading binaries

From: Heinrich Müller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New Feature - Uploading binaries
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:15:38 +0200

Hi Petr.
I saw you are following my progress on github.
I am currently debugging this feature, and am pondering
how to implement a few things.
Currently, my add-on does the following:
- Post binaries with multiple connections on ONE server
- Save upload queues to NZB files
- Some options are configurable via the options menu:
  * Subject line
  * Upload queue autosave
- The user can choose which parts of each file to upload
- The user can clear the list / remove files from the list

Things I want to implement:
- Move down/up of files in queue
- Perhaps more options.

Some implementation notes:
The upload queue is stored in a cache I adapted from the article-cache
in pan. It is emptied on startup and files that are not needed anymore are
discarded.
I haven't fully tested it for leaks yet, but pan as is does leak a lot as I see
it (or it is gtk-stuff...).
The code itself uses some "ugly" stuff I didn't have the time to beautify yet...
The code of uuencode.c has been taken from the latest pre-version of uudeview
and has been changed slightly.
I use a mersenne-twister-rng for my message-ids. Perhaps I will cancel this as
I don't really know how reliable this will be in a real environment. But I
haven't found a way yet to find posted articles without
downloading the headers and comparing by message-id. And if I want to keep the
option to create NZBs from uploads automagically, I'll have
to stick to sending the message-ids to the server myself, as not all servers
return the mid on a succesfull upload.

I estimate I have this fully working in two/three weeks time, but
don't shoot me if i don't :D
Anyways, the current version as is is functional, but perhaps still has
a few bugs. (So I naturally don't recommend it yet.)

Cheers,
Heinrich

-------- Original-Nachricht --------