pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Policy discussion: GNKSA

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Policy discussion: GNKSA
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 15:54:06 -0400

On Sunday 03 July 2011 14:02, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I agree about keeping the GNKSA stamp, but have a
> question: how old is the GNKSA standard, and how long has it been since
> it's been updated?

GNKSA 2.0 is the latest version, and hasn't been updated since 2003.  The
last evaluation they have on their site for any newsreader is from 2005,
the last for Pan being for 0.9.3 in 2000.  11 years is a long, long time.
When's the last time anyone here used an 80-character-wide terminal that
wasn't on a phone?  Actually, even my phone's terminal is 160x40, not that
I run a newsreader on it.

I think that with most public and ISP binary news servers gone, and most
commercial news servers using number of connections available as a
marketing point, this issue alone makes GNKSA 2.0 obsolete, if not dead.
It's been dead longer than it was in development, with no sign of a
replacement.  Maybe the spec could be updated.  Maybe it's time for it to
just be retired.

Either way, in my opinion, attempting to obtain or maintain GNKSA 2.0 is a
bug, not a feature, in 2011.

Rob