pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Policy discussion: GNKSA

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Policy discussion: GNKSA
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:33:36 +1000

Travis, please fix your quoting. That is, use Reply, not Forward, when replying to posts.

More follows below:

Travis wrote:
-----Original Message----- From: Alan Meyer
[...]
Does someone have data to suggest that there is a real advantage
to having more than four connections?

 From the Giganews web page:
"Speeds as Fast as Your Connection

Every Giganews account features unlimited download speed. Whether you have a 10Mbps or 1000Mbps connection, our Usenet servers will max out your connection. Unlimited speed means unlimited speed. Test your connection speed with our speed tester."

I think you have missed the point though. All that bit of advertising claims is that, *whatever speed you have*, Giganews can take advantage of all of it. It doesn't imply anything about the value of more connections.

More connections are only valuable when the provider applies a per-connection throttle which is less than your total bandwidth. If your total bandwidth is (say) 100Mbps, which will be a hard limit applied by your ISP, or possibly a physical limit imposed by the laws of physics and your modem, then adding additional connections won't increase that.

If your news provider throttles connections to 10Mbps, then 4 connections give you a total of 40Mbps used and 60 unused, and 10 connections would give you 100Mbps used and zero unused. But 20 connections *still* gives you 100Mbps used, because that's the hard limit from your ISP and/or modem -- adding more connections once you have saturated the available bandwidth just slows them all down.

--
Steven