pan-users

[Pan-users] VDQ Re: Policy discussion: GNKSA

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] VDQ Re: Policy discussion: GNKSA
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 21:06:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 23:08:26 +0000, Duncan wrote:
        [....]
> I suspected that might be the preference as people who strongly
> disagreed would have likely gone elsewhere already, the "asking the
> choir effect", I suppose it could be called, but that doesn't mean the
> debate doesn't need to happen, just in case, AND to establish a
> reasonable policy going forward, since the question will inevitably come
> up in that and other ways again.  It always does, and with pan active
> again now and perhaps bringing in new users and devs as a result, it's
> even more inevitable. So getting a consensus and establishing some sort
> of a policy is a reasonable thing to do.

        It won't surprise you that 99 44/100% of this discussion is over
my head, even after reading or trying to read that massive tome at http://
js.home.xs4all.nl/gnksa/gnksa.txt so this may well be a Very Dumb
Question (VDQ) from one who may be a marginal user in sophistication, but
a heavy if not desperate one in volume.

        It's another tack on the question of theory and practice, applied
this time to the GNKSA itself. Given that GNKSA is a great idea, to which
we all wish well; and given also the observations in this thread about
its currency; I ask -- seriously, wanting to know, *not* snidely -- what
difference does it make? Not would it make, could it make, nor has it
made, but as a factor influencing the development and greater glory of
Pan 0.135+

        That's really three questions, isn't it (not counting these ones
-- Douglas Hofstadter, where are you now?)?

        What will Heinrich, blessed be all his tribe, do differently
other than backing out that change? Will it snowball somehow?

        What will the effect be on how Pan works, who adopts or emulates
it, or whatever? (If Pan Triumphant will emulate the horseshoe nail by
making the whole Evil Empire of Redmond fall into a cybernetic abyss,
Excelsior! say I.)

        And how will the GNKSA, ossified or not, and New Pan's take on
the GNKSA, affect things like the prestige of Gmane?

        That matters. To take one small example, I try to monitor two
very busy lists which the likes of me could follow far better were they
only here. If limiting Pan, or de-limiting Pan, or spelling it backward,
will affect those lists' willingness to join Gmane, I'll vote
enthusiastically for whichever one does it.

        So will a lot of the Baby Boomers now entering retirement, unless
I miss my guess; they've been treading on my heels since hector was a pup.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User