pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [Gentoo] custom pan-9999 ebuild Was: Articles Pan Can't

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [Gentoo] custom pan-9999 ebuild Was: Articles Pan Can't Read
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:30:25 +0000 (UTC)

Nicolas Richard posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:02:23 +0200 as excerpted:

> Le 30/08/2011 11:54, Duncan a écrit :
>> it's possible to simply add the following to your /etc/portage/bashrc
>> file, and have it do the expected for /most/ packages
>
> That  /etc/portage/bashrc trick is nice, thanks ! Thanks also for your
> ebuild, though I'll stick to the official repo at the moment.

It is. =:^)

There have been similar tricks making the rounds for some years now.  I
used to run a rather complex portage bashrc that had that and a few other
tricks available, written by Ed... forgot his last name.  But he seems to
have disappeared and most of them ultimately got absorbed into either
portage directly, or as here, into the basic eclasses (utils, base,
etc).  So now I'm running close to mainline again.

For some reason, even tho that solution prints out the patch info in the
logs, some of the devs seem rather opposed to letting the users do that
as a built-in portage FEATURE, so it got added to the eclass, where devs
could activate it at will for their packages.  But since most non-trivial
ebuilds inherit eutils either directly or indirectly, and since it's
written to only apply the patches once even if called multiple times,
it's now possible for users to use this trivial trick to make it work
most of the time too, even if the package maintainer (or category eclass,
like the kde eclasses) doesn't specifically activate it.

>> OK, here's posting to see how the attachments come out! ... Double-
>> checked, yes, they're listed in the file-queue so I've not forgotten to
>> attach them. =:^/
>
> They appeared as responses to your message here.

Here on gmane, too.  I had followed the development discussion and
figured it was something like that, but hadn't actually tried it (and
don't consider myself a source reader, tho I'm gradually getting better
at least in limited contexts when the sources are well commented, etc) so
didn't know how it had actually been implemented.

There does seem to be a bit of implementation cruft ATM (headers that
aren't, well, headers), but the basics do seem to work. =:^)