pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Newbie question about unviewable posts

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Newbie question about unviewable posts
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 03:37:28 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Lawrence posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:46:14 -0700 as excerpted:

> And Duncan, I checked each time as I did my other email.  It seems to me
> that gmail stays with whatever formatting I have set it to.  But as html
> is the default and one has to use it to do things like embed pictures
> and clickable links, most email is conducted in html format (unless you
> use a text-only emailer).  So I think people revert to html and then
> forget to switch when posting to a text only list.  I'll try to remember
> in future, but can't guarantee it.

Thanks.  That's a quite clear explanation.  I have someone in mind right
now that fits the category I described previously (she uses gmail to
reply to lists, in this case, kde lists, and would definitely not
knowingly send HTML to them, but... it keeps occurring), that may very
well be able to put this info to use, if explained in those terms (it
remembers the last form you used, so it might be wise to either choose a
preference and remember to always set it back if you switch temporarily,
or to always check at the beginning of a session and maintain an
awareness after that which mode it's in, or, if it's easier, simply
remember to check for each post).

Me?  I /always/ use plain text with my local message (both mail and news)
clients, and refer to attachments, if necessary.  If I needed to embed an
image, etc, at a specific point in a layout, I'd create a web page and
send a link, not use html messages.