pan-users

[Pan-users] Synchronous vs asynchronous (was Re: Command line use; down

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: [Pan-users] Synchronous vs asynchronous (was Re: Command line use; download of nzb files does not stop)
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:55:48 -0500

On 11/05/2011 12:13 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 11/05/2011 09:23 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

It is common sense really: before pressing Send, consider how your email
will appear to the recipient. Will it make sense? Can they understand
what you are responding to? Do they have to scroll through 20 pages of
quoted text to see your reply?

Another thing which should be automatic is to proofread your email
before sending it. Are there any spelling errors? Have you used the
wrong form of a word, i.e., using their where there belongs? Are there
any known grammar or punctuation slipups? Not that I'm accusing you,
Steven, of anything, just adding my own two cents (adjusted for
inflation) to your excellent post.

Another benefit of asynchronous communications (email, usenet, web fora, snail mail) over synchronous communications (IM and verbal) is that they give you time to think, plan, hone, etc.

"The present letter is a very long one, simply because I had no leisure to make it shorter."
Blaise Pascal

--
Vegetarians eat vegetables, Humanitarians frighten me.