pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc

From: Ant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest Pan and Tin's ~/.newsrc
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:46:20 -0800

> > > How do I have Pan use my Tin's ~/.newsrc? I cannot seem to find the
> > > settings. I want both programs to share the same configurations.
> >
> > Once you setup a news server in pan, you can edit the servers.xml file
> > and point the newsrc entry for that server anywhere you want.
> >
> > Here, I simply rename the files to reflect the news server name (so for
> > example, newsrc.gmane, for the gmane.org list2news server I use to get my
> > mailing lists including this one as newsgroups), but you can edit the
> > whole path and point it where you want, if necessary.
> >
> > So just point it at ~/.newsrc, and assuming you have only the one server,
> > you should be fine.  (Unfortunately, the newsrc format appears to be
> > single-server only, so pan uses multiple files for multiple servers.
> > Don't try to point more than one server at the same file or you WILL have
> > issues! =8^0  An exception would be servers such as the European and USian
> > servers that some NSPs run, that coordinate their available groups and
> > article sequence numbering, in which case using the same newsrc for all
> > article-sequence-number coordinated servers should be just fine.)
>
> Sweet! Wait, why are our passwords visible in texts in there?
> Shouldn't it be encrypted? :(
>
> Anyways, I edited this XML to use ~/.newsrc that Tin uses with read
> groups marked and stuff. However, Pan still downloaded old headers even
> though I told only new headers? I didn't have this problem in old
> v0.14.2.91. I am currently using Pan v0.133 from a brand new Debian's
> stable installation (it doesn't have the old Pan version to go back to).
> :(

FYI, I forgot to mention a few important(?) things in my
original/previous posts:

1. I use Debian's Tin v1.9.6 release 20100522 ("Lochruan") May 31 2010
23:22:17. Is anyone else here using both Tin and Pan separately with the
same ~/.newsrc file? Strange that older Pan versions worked without
problems, but not the newer Pan version.

2. I also use nntp.earthlink.net's outsourced NSP -- SuperNews
(actually, GigaNews [two connections at once, no SSL, and 5 GB caps)
since they bought them) through EarthLink's 10 hours per month dial-up
account on my cable Internet service.

I don't know if those will help. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Stir up an ant's nest." --unknown
  /\___/\                Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: address@hidden/address@hidden
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.