pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 07:24:00 -0600

On 02/09/2012 07:07 AM, Rui Maciel wrote:
On 02/09/2012 12:34 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

I really don't understand the choice of displaying HTML attachments
in-line as raw text. It seems to be saying "Screw you, I dislike HTML
posts and so will deliberately make them as obnoxious and annoying as
possible in the hope that Microsoft, Google, Mozilla, IBM, etc. will
change their mind about supporting HTML mail in their mail clients".
As if that's ever going to happen.

Do you happen to know any Usenet standard that supports HTML? RFC
5536,[1] which defines the Netnews article format and refers to RFC
5322,[2] does not support any format in the message body section. If
Netnews articles do not support HTML then where do you see anyone
refusing to support any standard?

Adding to this, if you seriously dislike having someone deliberately
making stuff as obnoxious and annoying as possible then you should
direct your anger at those who find it acceptable to post HTML stuff to
Usenet. It isn't supported, it doesn't make sense, it is useless and it
is annoying. So, why do it?

Christ on a stick, people! That war was lost as soon as Windows users with Outlook Express invaded the Intarweb, and *over* when gmail defaulted to top-posting and and html formatting.

--
How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?