pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Character code page used in Pan (old) postings

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Character code page used in Pan (old) postings
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:29:59 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey posted on Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:37:12 +0000 as excerpted:

> I'm having a puzzling time with code pages in 'old' Pan.
>
> After years with no apparent problem in that area, out of the blue last
> week I had a response (In the Mozilla Thunderbird NG) as follows:
>
>     "Your Pan newsreader broke/folded my gmail help link.  Tb wouldn't
>       do that.

At this point, I'd say it's hit or miss whether you'll find anyone here
still using the old version.  I kept the old binary around for years, in
ordered to answer questions about it, but even that's been deleted some
time ago now at this point, after I hadn't seen any list mention of it
for I'd guess 18 months or more.  Thus, while anyone is of course free to
continue using it since it's freedomware, they'll pretty much have to be
technical enough or low demanding enough to be their own support.

Given that the last previously unimplemented pre-C++ pan feature (rules
based automated actions) now has a replacement in the live-git version
(I'm not sure it has made it to release, tho I'd guess it should,
sometime this year), and that there's now long awaited support for gpg
message signing and encryption, encrypted SSL connections, and attachment
posting, there's hardly reason left to continue using the old version
(tho I guess I could understand waiting until a release version has
actions, which I'd expect this year).

But... seeing as you do still use old-pan and there's a potential if low-
demand need for support, it'd be great if you could volunteer to be that
support person, or at least a contact person for anyone still using old-
pan.  Mainly, that'd involve watching the list for posts such as yours
about old-pan, and responding to them as best you could.  (It doesn't
take a developer to do that, I've been doing it for pan in general, on
this list, for years.)  If you're upto it, it's likely that the
pan.rebelbase web site could even list you as the contact person for
people still interested in old-pan.

Who knows?  Perhaps there's more old-pan users than I think, and they've
just been silent since there's no reason to ask questions about something
they're familiar with that's no longer changing, as long as it continues
to work.  With a dedicated contact person organizing things, it's
possible they'll come out of the woodwork and the old-pan code will be
reactivated, with a new maintainer appearing to keep it at least building
on newer systems (which is how khaley started after Charles left, it grew
from there!), etc.  =:^)