pan-users

[Pan-users] Pan just keeps loading and loading...

From: Ima Afrotrap
Subject: [Pan-users] Pan just keeps loading and loading...
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:17:10 -0500

  Hi,

  I really love Pan because of it's ability to put together Yenc files for me
as
I download them from a newsgroup.

  My problem - I add my news server to pan and it of course starts to fetch all
the groups on that server. Being on dial-up this can be slow, but in 18 years
of
it I've learned patience.

  I read a book while waiting for the groups to download. After about an hour I
looked to see how far along it had come and to my surprise it had 230,000
groups! My news server does *NOT* have that many groups!

  Just to check and make sure, I used knode and sure enough, it only got
112,000, which is what I expected.

  So, just for kicks and giggles, I started the fetch again in Pan and let it
go. It was at least 3 hours minimum and it was *still* fetching groups and it
had almosy a million fetched so far! It just wasn't going to stop, so I stopped
it and deleted that task and deleted that server.

  I asked my ISP if they had another news server and they gave me a yes and I
tried that one. Same thing happened. Pan just kept fetching and fetching with
no
end in sight.

  What's really strange, another server, a private one (GRC.com server) fetched
just fine and was done in no time on Pan.

  Why is Pan messing up like this? I'm using Slackware and openSUSE and on
openSUSE Pan works fine, yet on Slackware it only works partially. Anyone have
any ideas what's happening, why and any possible fixes? I hate knode because
after 12 years of using KDE they *still* haven't figured out how to make it
work
with binaries and Yenc files and it's slow compared to Pan.

  Thanks for any assistance with this.

  JB

--
If Bill Gates had a nickle for every time Windows crashed...Oh, wait, he does!

-from a slashdot.org post