pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan for windows max connections...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan for windows max connections...
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 13:47:58 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Müller posted on Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:09:52 +0100 as excerpted:

> Look in your user's folder, subfolder .pan2, file servers.xml
> There is a setting for connections per server.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Am 28.12.2013 08:16, schrieb John Lewis:
>> Is there a way to configure pan to have connections greater than 4?
>> The gui seems to override any changes made to the XML file for this
>> property.

Top posting in HTML; what's this world coming to, anyway?

John, I don't know if you've noticed pan's GNKSA seal on the web site,
but the four connection limit is part of it.  That bit of GNKSA is rather
outdated these days, but the user community pan has grown around it
(including me) tends to be rather strong supporters of (the rest of) GNKSA
in general (well, it's probably a two-way-street, pan, being 100% GNKSA
approved, tends to draw the sorts who don't like HTML posting, top
posting, too much quote for just a few words of reply, etc..., and they
in turn tend to strongly support keeping pan's 100% GNKSA approval), and
the general thought is that once we slip on that and can no longer
rightly claim 100% GNKSA approval, it'll be easy to rationalize the other
bits away one at a time as well, and that would be a sad thing. =:^(

So pan keeps the 4-connection limit in the GUI, even if that's a bit
dated, because that's part of GNKSA, and the pan community considers
losing it too high a price to pay for a bit of lost convenience.

*BUT*, as Heinrich mentioned and you seemed to indicate you'd tried as
well, but didn't quite understand how it worked, you should be able to
directly edit the servers.xml file, and pan SHOULD honor that, as long as
you don't mess with anything in the GUI servers settings dialog after
that.  GNKSA says the GUI must allow setting no more than four
connections per server, but it says NOTHING about honoring a greater
number of connections if actually directly set in the config file, so
that's our way around it, thus making the GNKSA connections thing really
just what what I said above, a small loss of convenience.

So set the number of connections you want (or your server allows) in
servers.xml, and don't change anything after that in the GUI servers
dialog so pan doesn't have a reason to re-write the file, and pan should
use the number of connections you set. =:^)

At least that's the way it works on Linux.  I don't do proprietary
servantware (in the context of my sig) so don't do MS Windows, but I know
of no reason it would behave differently there.