pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] tip: getting pan to run off another location other than

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] tip: getting pan to run off another location other than /home
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 23:29:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 01 Apr 2017 14:17:25 +1100, Pedro wrote:

> for linux users, particularly as the headers are getting into the
> gigabytes for servers with long retentions..
>
> pan by default installs to /home/<username>/.pan2
>
> but with this symlink  command you can make any other location be that
> .pan2
>

> ln -s <newlocation> <oldlocationtosubstitute>
>
> eg
>
> ln -s  <newlocation>/.pan /home/<username/.pan2
>
> you might have to do a chown -R <username> <newlocation> for the
> newlocation if you dont have permissions there.
>
> that won''t survive a reboot, so put that into startup applications too
> if you want to.
>
> also if you want to install pan in a location that is encapsulated with
> veracrypt, or the old (disadvised) truecrypt you can use the symlink to
> that location and have it all encrypted.
>
> things in <> are your options to put in. location is a folder.

I do something similar to this - I use encfs to store my Pan data in a
folder that's synced between multiple machines using Dropbox.  When I
start pan, I use a script that uses zenity to prompt for the encfs
password, and it mounts the encrypted directory in ~/.pan2.  When I exit,
it unmounts the directory.

While the script does leave the password visible in the 'ps' output, for
my use, that's "good enough" - if someone had access to my system, they
could use a sniffer to look at the unencrypted NNTP connection my servers
use to grab the credentials - what I'm protecting against is compromise
of the Dropbox folder, not a compromise of my systems).

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson