pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Deprecated libgnome-keyring

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Deprecated libgnome-keyring
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 01:45:34 +0000 (UTC)

Detlef Graef posted on Mon, 29 May 2017 20:24:01 +0200 as excerpted:

> the libgnome-keyring library which is used when Pan is build with the
> option --enable-gkr is deprecated. During the build process I get
> warnings [...]

> The suggested new libraries to replace libgnome-keyring are:
>
> https://developer.gnome.org/libsecret/ and
> https://developer.gnome.org/gcr/
>
> I have a patch (which has to be tested) to remove dependency on
> libgnome-keyring.
>
> libsecret and/or gcr are part of Gtk+ 3, this means Pan cannot be run
> with the patch above applied and Gtk+ 2.
>
> Pan doesn't start if it is build with libsecret, gcr and Gtk+ 2. The
> following error occurs:
>
> (pan:20683): Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and
> GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
>
> The question is if the patch should be applied now or should we wait
> until libgnome-keyring is removed?
>
> How long will Gtk+ 2 will be supported?

Not being a dev, it's possible my knowledge of pan's gtk3 support status
is now outdated, but last I knew, building against gtk2 was still
recommended, as there were still mysterious runtime errors and various
GUI glitches when built against gtk3.

And building against gtk2 is what I'm doing here, using a long customized
live-git fetching ebuild from my overlay, based on the old gentoo live-
git pan ebuild I don't believe it ships any more.

But I've always built with the keyring support off as it pulled in too
many unwanted gtk/gnome deps I didn't otherwise use.

Meanwhile, after just checking the gentoo main-tree ebuilds, gentoo at
least has continued to force a gtk2 build (--without-gtk3), the comment
in the (0.141) ebuild saying "gtk3 support is still not ready (follow
what Fedora does)".  But it's quite possible that hasn't been reviewed in
awhile.

So the question from that is what Fedora is currently doing?  Are they
still forcing gtk2?

And the larger question of course is how long the distros are likely to
continue to ship gtk2?  And on that, last I knew, Firefox still hard-deps
on gtk2, even when built with the optional gtk3, so at least distros that
ship a shared-lib firefox will continue to need gtk2 for the time being.

Meanwhile, what's the status of the various gtk-based desktops?  I'm a
kde/plasma desktop (but not so much else these days) guy so haven't been
keeping track, but last I knew, at least one of them had no plans to go
gtk3... or wayland.

So gtk2 might well be around for awhile.  But I don't believe anyone's
doing a gtk2 wayland port, which means anything stuck on it will be stuck
to x11, and will likely eventually be handled by xwayland on wayland
based desktops and systems.

Meanwhile, that "deprecation" only applies to gtk3, correct?  Nobody's
killing the gtk2-based lib, right?  If so then it really does appear to
be just one more aspect of the larger gtk2/gtk3 question, which is
obviously how I treated it, above.