pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [feature-request] Implement newer TLS Version in neawsre

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [feature-request] Implement newer TLS Version in neawsreader pan?
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 03:06:08 +0000 (UTC)

Detlef Graef posted on Thu, 06 Jul 2017 19:40:58 +0200 as excerpted:

> For a quick test I have replaced line number 813 in the file
> socket-impl-openssl.cc with the following line:
>
>  "NONE:+VERS-TLS-ALL:+CIPHER-ALL:+COMP-ALL:+KX-ALL:SIGN-ALL:+CURVE-ALL:
> +CTYPE-ALL:+MAC-ALL", NULL);
>
> This enables all TLS versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.2) and all other options.
>
> See: https://gnutls.org/manual/html_node/Priority-Strings.html
>
> After building Pan with gnu-tls option enabled everything seems to work
> in my setup.

Is there a debug method to tell you what was actually used?  Did you
verify that it was TLS v 1.2 (assuming your server supports it)?

> I think a good solution would be to add a additional option in the file
> servers.xml for each server so that a specific TLS version can be set by
> the user if a problem occurs with a certain server.
>
> Something like:
>
> <tlsver>TLS-VER-ALL</tlsver>  with TLS-VER-ALL as the default value.
>
> possible other values:
>
> <tlsver>VERS-TLS1.0</tlsver>  force TLS ver. 1.0
> <tlsver>VERS-TLS1.1</tlsver>  force tLS ver. 1.1
> <tlsver>VERS-TLS1.2</tlsver>  force TLS ver. 1.2
> <tlsver>VERS-TLS1.3</tlsver>   (in the future)

LGTM. =:^)

[FWIW, pan says I didn't write enough for what I quoted.  I don't tend to
get that warning very often. =:^) But I don't have anything else to
add... or delete in the quote... but this note of side interest.  It's
pan behavior in the pan newsgroup/list, so it's on topic. =:^)  If this
goes thru it was enough, if not I'll mention that instead of this
sentence and send anyway.]