pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan doesn't usually minimize to system tray

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan doesn't usually minimize to system tray
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 04:00:22 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Sun, 24 Sep 2017 11:01:20 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 04:02:51 +0000, David Melik wrote:
>
>> I found out why it works sometimes.  You can't maximize Pan, or it
>> won't work.  The only thing is focused, non-maximized, then selecting
>> the icon in the system tray, not actually selecting to minimize.
>
> I wonder if it's because Pan is primarily Gniome based and you, like me
> are using KDE?  Any Gnome or equivalent fork users care to comment?

I'm using kde/plasma too, but FWIW, the traditional system tray as a
feature has been rather neglected/maligned by both camps, in favor of
"notifications", a semi-standardized (XDG/Opendesktop.org) feature that
is presented a bit differently by different desktops.

On the kde/plasma side, a "legacy" systray adapter app, commonly the qt-
based xembedsniproxy, originally a separate package that they wanted you
to build/install if you required it, that got integrated into the plasma-
workspace package due to popular demand, but remains a build-time option
(on gentoo exposed via USE flag, with a couple others including a gtk2
based alternative similarly available), must be running in ordered to
have your "legacy" tray apps appear in the systray at all.  (Otherwise,
it's pretty much just the newer built-in options such as the battery
applet, klipper, the weather applet, etc, tho newer plasma can
"swallow" (their term) normal plasma5-based plasmoids like the comic-
strip plasmoid, as well.)

I'm not as familiar with the Gnome side, but I do know, because it made
FLOSS-community headlines, that they said they're aware that the existing
gnome3 popup notifier solution isn't optimal, and they're planning to get
rid of it, tho what they plan on replacing it with, if anything, wasn't
clear.

Meanwhile, there's the whole wayland thing to consider as well, with the
systray considered an x11 legacy.  The native-wayland plasma solution
isn't mature yet, tho running live-git and following the review and
commit list I know that's one of two major focuses ATM (the other still
being the now kirigami-based convergence, while they're pretty much just
maintaining the traditional x11 desktop where it's at, minor improvements
only), and I honestly don't know what the wayland notification solution
looks like but I expect the plasma-native functionality at least should
be quite similar, while the legacy x11 stuff will of course continue to
run via a rootless-X xwayland and kwayland.

The gnome wayland side is said to be more mature, to the point it's the
default in some distros now, but I've even less of an idea there what
they're doing, except that the above comment about the existing solution
not being optimal and that they're killing it, surely applies.  But what
they plan on replacing it with, for wayland as for X, I've not the
foggiest.

Of course pan's optional tray functionality continues to exist thru all
this, at least when it's built against gtk2 (I've no idea if it's an even
an option still when built against gtk3), but it remains "legacy"
functionality that doesn't fit the "new vision" of where gnome is going,
and I've a feeling that neither Charles nor Heinrich as lead devs used it
that much if at all beyond basic testing, so it remains available, but
also remains semi-broken, because no one with the skills to do anything
about it apparently cares about that feature enough to create and submit
patches to make it work properly.