pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Minimum application's window width

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Minimum application's window width
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 21:54:05 +0000 (UTC)

Mateusz Viste posted on Fri, 29 Sep 2017 11:39:20 +0000 as excerpted:

> It sometimes happens that Pan doesn't let me reduce the width of the
> application's window below some size. Often in such situation, the
> "minimum" size it requires is wider than my computer's screen, which is
> obviously inconvenient.
>
> I do not understand what causes Pan to enforce a minimum window size - I
> tried resizing all columns in the header pane, but without any impact on
> Pan's global width.
>
> What should I look after?

In the past the main pan window's minimum width has been due to the
number of items in the toolbar.  Is that what you're seeing?  You're
"sometimes" suggests that it it might be more dynamic than that?

FWIW I've long used kwin window rules to set my main pan window size,
both initial and minimum, and I'm using huge monitors (a 65-inch UHD/4K
for my primary), so I've not had to worry about this for quite some time,
but I did have a netbook as second machine, some years ago, that I had
some problems with, but not with pan, as IIRC its toolbar-defined pixel
minimum width was still under the 1024 pixel width of the netbook.  But
there have been occasional reports from others with the problem, and the
number of toolbar elements turned out to be defining the main window's
minimum width.

The other problem people, including me, have had, has been with the
preferences window.  I've always been able to force that to behave with
kwin window rules too, here, but I've certainly had the problem without
them, and I honestly don't know what people do if they're seeing that
problem on a window manager that doesn't have the flexibility of kwin to
*force* window sizes via window rules.  But your question appears to be
about the main window, not prefs.