pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan repo renamed and migrated to gitlab.gnome.org

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan repo renamed and migrated to gitlab.gnome.org
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 04:46:03 +0000 (UTC)

Petr Kovar posted on Thu, 31 May 2018 17:53:49 +0200 as excerpted:

> This is mostly a FYI for people using Pan from Git that following other
> projects hosted on GNOME infrastructure, the pan2 git repo has been
> renamed to pan and migrated to the GNOME GitLab instance at
> gitlab.gnome.org.

Thanks.  I had investigating why my (gentoo ebuild-based) pan updates
were failing on my list.  Please note the below, however.

> Redirects have been set up by the GNOME team, so if you have the repo
> cloned, no action should be necessary and you can continue using your
> clone.
>
> You can update your clone config with the new URL:
>
> git remote set-url origin address@hidden:GNOME/pan.git
>
> To clone the repo:
>
> git clone address@hidden:GNOME/pan.git

Keep in mind that the git protocol is a clear-text connection.  HTTPS is
at least somewhat more secure[1].  For people on dedicated connections
that trust their ISPs and assume they don't have various advanced-
persistent-threats (APTs) out to get them (and since we're talking devs,
or any of their users), this /shouldn't/ matter too much, but for those
on publicly accessible wifi or who otherwise don't particularly trust
their ISP or who might be an "object of interest" to various APTs, or who
care about users that might be such "objects of interest", it very well
could.

FWIW, here's the https:// link that I put in EGIT_REPO_URI in my pan-9999
ebuild (gentoo), tested to work:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pan.git

---
[1] "somewhat" more secure:  There remains the matter of whether various
certificate authorities can be trusted, and sufficiently resourced APTs
can be assumed to have access to certs that will check out with the CAs,
so the security isn't perfect, but it's definitely better than plain-text
transfer, as one can at least hope you're not trusting your ISP as a
certificate authority (!!), so at least /they/, and anyone trivially
eavesdropping on your wifi, shouldn't be able to MitM the connection, as
they can of course do with clear-text HTTP and git-protocol connections.