Re: Default tempdir

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: Default tempdir
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 19:05:01 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Ole Tange wrote:

Today I had the problem that /tmp on the system was not big enough to
hold the output from GNU Parallel, but the current directory had
plenty of space. /tmp had 5 GB available and my output was 8 GB and
because I needed -k I had to be able to buffer all of the output.

This leads me to believe we need an option --tmpdir and $TMPDIR to set
where the tmp dir should be.

I have not gone through all the code in parallel, but it has:
$Private::control_path_dir = tempdir("/tmp/parallel-ssh-XXXX", CLEANUP => 1 );

if that is changed to
   $Private::control_path_dir = tempdir();
it does the right thing. (or correct me)

It uses $TMPDIR when set.

I guess this will do it:
 $Private::control_path_dir = tempdir($Global::tmpdir);

 1. Uses /tmp by default
 2. Uses $TMPDIR if set
 3. Uses --tmpdir if set

If possible the TMPDIR in the environment should be set when calling system()

/hans
--
Horsebakken 78, DK-2400 København NV