RE: option for performing dry run

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: RE: option for performing dry run
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:20:45 -0600

As implemented, it seems to do what I've asked.  Thanks!

But....thinking about it a little more.... hmmmm....

You have many command line options.  Appreciating them all without having had
to use them all is a small challenge....

I note that parallel by default is --silent and has option to be --verbose,
which shows the command before executing.

GNU make, onthe other hand, by default is --verbose (it prints each command
immediately before execution) and has option to be --silent which squelches
this trace.

Assuming this is not going to change....

I think you might provide a flag to '--forgo' execution of the command, the
'transfer' and/or the 'cleanup'.  Then allow -v to control what gets echoed to
STDOUT.

This new flag would also control whether jobs are submitted to remote hosts.
Also, if set, files would not be transferred but (if --verbose) the commands to
effect the transfer ('rsync' etc) would be printed.

You _might_ call the flag --forgo (-f) with default value of 'all' but option
to set it to one or more of 'transfer' 'return' 'cleanup'.

--dry-run is then equivilent to '--verbose --forgo all'

But, as it stands, I've tested --dry-run (without remote considerations) and it
works as I requested.

Thanks!

Malcolm Cook
Stowers Institute for Medical Research -  Bioinformatics
Kansas City, Missouri  USA