Re: GNU/Parallel in OBS

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: GNU/Parallel in OBS
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:33:55 +0100

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM, R. Tyler Croy <tyler@monkeypox.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011, Matt Oates (Home) wrote:
>> On 3 March 2011 18:42, R. Tyler Croy <tyler@monkeypox.org> wrote:
>> > I am an openSUSE user and I've gone ahead and installed parallel from the
>> > home:tange project, will this be kept up to date with releases?
>>
>> I'm not sure about openSUSE but Ubuntu lags behind the fresh release
>> by quite some way. Development is a lot more active than any distro
>> will be keeping up with. For instance named config files are quite a
>> useful recent feature that isn't in the latest Ubuntu. I'm using the
>> checkinstall command to install each release of parallel under package
>> management.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CheckInstall
>>
>> If you're not familiar with checkinstall it will make you an RPM from
>> the parallel source, you just use checkinstall where you would do
>> "make install".
>
> If Ole is keeping things updated in OBS, you should be able to grab packages
> from the repositories autogenerated there:
>    https://build.opensuse.org/project/repositories?project=home%3Atange

The _intention_ is to keep OBS up-to-date, but my packaging skills are
not excellent, so the packages may have some rough edges. If you know
how to package it better, then help will be appreciated. I have a few
requirements, though:

* It should be able to install on obsolete systems (e.g. Debian
old-stable and similar).
* I prefer an ugly package with no requirements over a smooth package
that has more requirements.

It is a goal to make GNU Parallel very portable - even if this costs a
little in administration.