Re: --nest for nested argument files

From: Benjamin R. Haskell
Subject: Re: --nest for nested argument files
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 04:47:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 May 2011, Ole Tange wrote:

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Hans Schou wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2011, Ole Tange wrote:

For all you alpha-testers: The git version now can do:

$ parallel echo {1} {2} {3} :::: <(seq 1 3) <(seq 4 5) <(seq 6 7)

Could you just reverse the order of --arg-file's ?

[omitted example]

Why? What goal is it you want to accomplish by reversing the order of --arg-files?

(was that understandable?)

Nope.

I think Hans's assertion was that reversing the order in which parallel is considering the --arg-file's when generating the cross product gets the set in the expected order.

Based on the example you (Ole) gave, though, I'm not sure that's the case. It looks vaguely "reversed", but not quite (Hans: note the ones with the *'s):

1 2 3
-----
1 4 6
2 4 6
3 4 6
1 5 6
2 5 6
3 5 6
1 4 7
1 5 7*
2 4 7*
2 5 7*
3 4 7*
3 5 7

If the output had been the following, I think Hans's suggestion would work. (Maybe there's some output ordering afoot?)

1 2 3
-----
1 4 6
2 4 6
3 4 6
1 5 6
2 5 6
3 5 6
1 4 7
2 4 7*
3 4 7*
1 5 7*
2 5 7*
3 5 7

(Regardless, if you're [eventually] optimizing for the slow_generating_command case, I don't think the arg-file ordering will help and/or matter.)

--
Best,
Ben