Re: progress and eta feature request

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: progress and eta feature request
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 20:27:44 +0200

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Remik Ziemlinski
<remik.ziemlinski@gmail.com> wrote:
> First off, wonderful tool.  Thank you!

You can show your appreciation by promoting GNU Parallel. You can:

* Post the intro video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpaiGYxkSuQ on
your blog/Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/user group/mailing lists
* Write a review for your blog/Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/user
group/mailing lists
* Help others use GNU Parallel when you see problems that can be
solved using GNU Parallel
* Request or build a package for your favourite distribution
* Invite me to speak at your next conference (Contact http://ole.tange.dk)

If GNU Parallel saves you money:

* Donate (or convince your company to donate) to FSF https://my.fsf.org/donate/

> When I use the current progress indicator, it only shows how many tasks
> completed, and the percentage always shows 100%.  Instead, I wish the
> percentage reported the ratio of complete vs. incomplete tasks.

I do not think that ratio would be very good: For 1000 jobs it would
start out as 0/1000 and end with 1000/0.

I think a better measure is: incomplete vs. all or complete vs. all.

> I also wish
> it showed an estimated time remaining for all the tasks to finish; the
> average time per task is a nice start already.

For estimated time look at --eta.

The 100% is the % of started jobs that are started on this computer.
It changes if you use remote computers (-S).

Currently --progress does not require GNU Parallel to read all
arguments and I would like it to continue to be this way. However,
--eta already requires reading all arguments, so it could be part of
that. An ETA line looks like this:

ETA: 4490s 99291left 0.02avg  local:2/9909/100%/0.1s

We could change it to:

ETA: 4490s 99291=90%left 0.02avg  local:2/9909/100%/0.1s

Do have a better suggestion?