Re: ENHANCEMENT: using the header from a delimited file

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: ENHANCEMENT: using the header from a delimited file
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:36:21 +0100

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Cook, Malcolm <MEC@stowers.org> wrote:

> If supported, say with new option --header, you could provide a new example,
> such as
>
> EXAMPLE: Use a table as input USING SYMBOLIC REPLACEMENT STRINGS
>
>       Content of table_file.tsv:
>
>         f1<TAB>f2
>         foo<TAB>bar
>         baz <TAB> quux
>
>       To run:
>
>         cmd -o bar -i foo
>         cmd -o quux -i baz
>
>       you can run:
>
>       parallel -a table_file.tsv --header --colsep '\t' cmd -o {f1} -i {f2}

As it is now, you can run:

       parallel -a table_file.tsv --skip-first-line --colsep '\t' cmd
-o {1} -i {2}

I see very little benefit in adding the extra option, so you need to
show me better examples where this could be helpful. It will also help
if others can provide these examples.

> Computational Biology - Stowers Institute for Medical Research

I suspect you need it for some bioinformatics, if so feel free to show
what bioinformatics files you need it for.

/Ole
(Sysadm at Bioinformatics, University of Copenhagen)