Re: parallel stops working for no obvious reason

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: parallel stops working for no obvious reason
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:30:40 +0200

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Thomas Sattler
<sattler@med.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:

> I run parallel
>
>  libgomp: Thread creation failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
>  open3: fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable at
> /usr/bin/parallel line 3587
>
> This happend last week with v20120222, I'll give it another
> try with v20120322 today.

One of the fixes in 20120222 was reserving 1 or 2 extra filehandles.
This might be what you are seeing.

> In case you want to reproduce it, here is how:
>
> [...long description requiring running 700.000 jobs on 32 cores...]

As you probably can imagine that is hard to reproduce. See if you can
make smaller example fail - preferably something that can run on
smaller machines.