Re: Ubuntu provides an older version of parallel - suggestion to retrofi

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Ubuntu provides an older version of parallel - suggestion to retrofit my usage?
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 21:16:01 +0100

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM, John <da_audiophile@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu 12.10 seems to be providing GNU parallel 20120422.  I am trying to run
> a script that uses features that are apparently contained in a newer version.
>  The code to the script can be found at the link below, but I think that this
> is the main part:
>
> parallel -k do_clean ::: "${toclean[@]}" 2>/dev/null
>
> Can someone suggest an alternative invocation of parallel so it works on the
> 20120422 version?

>From man parallel:

       Your bug report should always include:

       ยท The error message you get (if any).

You failed to do that.

I understand that you cannot use a newer version as you cannot expect
your users to install the newer version. But you fail to mention if
the problem disappears if you yourself install a newer version and if
so: at which version does the problem disappear. Also you fail to
mention if you have asked Ubuntu to upgrade their repositories to a
newer version.

It will also help troubleshooting if you can reproduce the error on a
smaller example; your script seems to do a lot more than just showing
the problem.

::: and -k are both in 20120422, so that is not the problem.

/Ole

P.S: Did you read the first section in
http://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/man.html#options