Re: GNU Parallel Bug Reports Error after update in server

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: GNU Parallel Bug Reports Error after update in server
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 16:24:02 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Maria Evangelia Chatzimina
<hatziminamaria@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is not possible to send you the example because it is part of many
> scripts and it has many variables and files as input.

If you want me to help you find the error, it is much easier for me if
I can reproduce the error you see.

> I can send you the version:
> NU parallel 20121122
> Copyright (C) 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 Ole Tange and Free Software
> Foundation, Inc.
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> GNU parallel comes with no warranty.
>
> Web site: http://www.gnu.org/software/parallel
>
> When using GNU Parallel for a publication please cite:
>
> O. Tange (2011): GNU Parallel - The Command-Line Power Tool,
> ;login: The USENIX Magazine, February 2011:42-47.

You are not using the latest release (20130722). Why do you think this
error has not been fixed in the newest release?

> I found that the problem is in command:
>
> parallel echo $source/{}/*$input_extension)" -p $template -D $output_dir -M
> $model -v -o "$learn_options" &

Without the content of the variables and the environment it is
impossible for me to tell what has gone awry.

I understand that GNU Parallel does not report errors in general, thus
this works fine for you:

    parallel ::: true

So it is something in your script that causes the problem. If you have
narrowed it down to the single instance above, I suggest you make a
wrapper that records which options are set:

    $ cat bin/my_wrapper
    #!/bin/bash

    echo "$@" >> /tmp/parallel.log
    parallel "$@"

and then instead of parallel run my_wrapper:

    bin/my_wrapper echo $source/{}/*$input_extension)" -p $template -D
$output_dir -M $model -v -o "$learn_options" &

Then you will have a recording of the parameters in /tmp/parallel.log