Weird behaviour with magic work dir option

From: Graeme H
Subject: Weird behaviour with magic work dir option
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:49:14 -0700

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a handle on GNU parallel behaviour, but I'm running into some weird behaviour on my Ubuntu 13.04 box (parallel v20121122):

$ parallel --gnu --workdir ... -S localhost pwd ::: ""
bash: line 0: cd: .parallel/tmp/galvatron-390-1: No such file or directory

I'm under the impression from the docs that this should create the working dir at the remote end to use? It does seem to create .parallel/tmp/ dir, just not the subdir underneath.

This seems to be causing me further headaches when using --trc, as it then fails to rsync files over to work on, and so the commands being run by parallel fail.

Additionally, given a list of files passed to parallel, "::: /some/path/to/files*", is there some docs that show how absolute paths are handled with --trc when transferring to/from servers running the tasks? I'm under the impression it'll try to just use the absolute path at the other end as the rsync target, but what I'd really like is to have it strip the path out when copying, so it just copies to/from workdir/filename.

Thanks!
Graeme