Re: Which exit code should --halt give?

From: Martin d'Anjou
Subject: Re: Which exit code should --halt give?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 09:51:16 -0400

On 15-05-02 06:26 AM, Ole Tange wrote:
I have given much thought into the exit code of --halt 0 (i.e. --halt
never), namely the number of failed jobs. I still believe that is the
useful thing to return.

The count of failed jobs is useful up to a max of 255 jobs because the exit code rolls over at 255, it is an 8-bit number. Exit 256 is the same as exit 0, which means "no error". If the user submits more than 256 jobs, the count of errors is not reliable anymore, so exiting with the count of errors is only meaningful in the context of the user submitting 255 jobs or less, and only the user knows their context after GNU parallel has exited.

I have given some thought into the exit code of --halt 1/--halt 2
(i.e. --halt soon,fail=1/--halt now,fail=1), namely the exit code of
the failing job. I think this is useful, too.

I am, however, not sure what the useful exit code should be for:

--halt soon,success=1 == --halt -1
--halt now,success=1 == --halt -2

This is not a scenario I expect to use, but I can suggest:
Exit with 0 if there is at least one success because it meets the expectation that was set, otherwise exit with non-zero.

--halt soon,fail=XX% == --halt XX%
--halt now,fail=XX%

An analogy to the physical world can help visualize this scenario. Say you are doing a destructive test on a batch of samples. Suppose it is a compression test on some new building material. You submit all the samples to the same test. If they all pass the test, things are good (exit 0). If any of them fail the test, then the testing as a whole is a failure (exit 1). The reason you don't halt at the first failure but rather at the XX% failure is that you want to halt the testing with more than one failure to do comparative failure analysis. If the failure rate never exceeds XX% by the time the samples are all used up, it only means the comparative failure analysis won't have with as many samples to study, but the test as a whole is still a failure (so still exit 1). And to be complete, if the failure rate does exceed XX%, then the test as a whole is still a failure because some samples did not pass the test (so exit 1).

--halt soon,success=X (X>1)
--halt now,success=X (X>1)

This is not a scenario I expect to use, but I can suggest:
Exit with 0 if there is at least one success, otherwise exit with non-zero.

I think one might want to use that mode of operation when they are looking for more than one valid hypotheses in a set of hypotheses. So they should be told whether the success they expected (success=X) was met (exit 0) or not met (exit non-zero).

--halt soon,fail=X (X>1)
--halt now,fail=X (X>1)

Same as failure with percentage above.

--halt soon,success=XX%