Re: --return conditional on exit status

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: --return conditional on exit status
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 18:33:23 +0100

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 7:16 PM, Benjamin Leutner
<benjamin.leutner@uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:

> is it possible to return results from a remote server _only if_ they were
> created?

No. But we can ask the users if they would like the --return(-file) to
mean: Return a file if it is there, otherwise do nothing.

> Use case: I run a script on remote which will not always create an output.
> This is intentional, thus not writing a file is not an error.
> However, in that case I would like '--return' to be ignored in order not to
> spam my stderr with false positives.

I understand your problem, but do not see the option as generally useful.

It is unclear to me, why you cannot simply do a 'touch outputfile in
the remote script'.

This way you would always generate an outputfile, and if it is empty,
you simply ignore it.