Re: ssh GSSAPI authentication issue

From: Joe Sapp
Subject: Re: ssh GSSAPI authentication issue
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 15:56:09 -0400

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Joe Sapp <sappj@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 6:09 PM, Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Joe Sapp <sappj@ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to run some remote jobs with parallel (20170322) via ssh,
>>> but the authentication system here for ssh is set up to use GSSAPI.  I
>> :
>>> For example, this works, with the command being run remotely and locally:
>>>   seq 10 | env_parallel --sshlogin :,4/$SERVER echo
>>>
>>> These do not:
>>>   seq 10 | env_parallel --sshlogin :,4/$SERVER --load 75% echo
>>>   seq 10 | env_parallel --sshlogin :,$SERVER --load 75% echo
>>>   seq 10 | env_parallel --sshlogin :,$SERVER echo
>>>
>>> by which I mean that I am prompted for an alternate credential.  It
>>> seems to me that parallel is not passing the credentials on when it
>>> requests information from the server.  Can anybody provide some
>>> guidance or suggestions for debugging?
>>
>> First, use parallel instead of env_parallel, so we can determine if
>> the problem is in the env_parallel wrapper.
>>
>> Then get it working on VirtualBoxes, so others can reproduce the error.
>>

> My mistake, I copy/pasted wrong.  It behaves the same with `parallel`
> instead of `env_parallel`.
> I will see if I can reproduce in a VirtualBox.

I haven't been able to reproduce in a VirtualBox yet, but I did some
more testing.  It appears that an environment variable is not being
passed on completely.

This will now work:
  seq 10 | parallel --ssh "env KRB5CCNAME=${KRB5CCNAME} ssh -vvv"
--sshlogin :,$SERVER --load 75% echo

I see this ssh error if I enable debugging without passing on the variable:
> debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
> Credentials cache file '/tmp/krb5cc_1340800210' not found
Whereas:
> $ echo ${KRB5CCNAME}
> FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1340800210_vqoma25084

I don't know Perl, but it appears that some environment variables are
being filtered.  Maybe it's truncating this one?

--
Joe