Re: input buffering

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: input buffering
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 21:56:33 +0100

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Ryan Berckmans
<ryan.berckmans@gmail.com> wrote:
> When using GNU parallel 20160522 with bash 3.2.57(1)-release, my use case is
> of the form
>
> slow-computation | parallel --pipe sh -c "quick-computation1 |
> quick-computation2"
>
> In this case, slow-computation outputs one job per line of stdout. Each line
> of input is unbuffered and immediately available to parallel.
>
> parallel seems to wait for input EOF before starting the first job. Is it
> possible to make parallel eagerly start jobs as they become available?

GNU Parallel _does_ start the jobs immediately. What GNU Parallel does
_not_ is to give you the output.

This is a bug, which is mentioned here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/man.html#EXAMPLE:-GNU-Parallel-as-queue-system-batch-manager

If you make a patch that fixes this bug, I will be very interested.