Linux kernel question, pre 2.6.23 vs later kernel versions

From: Groom, George
Subject: Linux kernel question, pre 2.6.23 vs later kernel versions
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:33:05 +0000

All,

I understand that kernel process scheduling changed at 2.6.23… run queue based to Completely Fair Scheduling (CFS).  Has anyone experienced longer parallel script execute times on systems with later versions of the Linux kernel?

I’ve noticed longer execute times where I’m generating several thousands of processes on later kernel machines.  CFS seems to throttle my processes within a few seconds and then control execution until script completion.  Are there known workarounds for this behavior?  Depending on application needs the older method might be preferable?

Thank you for your time and feedback,

George Groom

Comcast Cable Corporation