pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Encryption module page draft

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Encryption module page draft
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:04:11 +0200

   > I think that this is a good time to write down the API in the
   > reference manual. Would you like to prepare the draft taking into
   > account the comments made in this mailing list about the issue?

   I would like it :). So I have already written down the draft.

Thanks :) Some comments about the patch follows.

address@hidden Initializating the module
address@hidden Initializating the module
+
+The encryption module must be initialized when Libgnupdf library was
+loaded It is *NOT* safe-thread.

What kind of global data will be maintained by the module? All the
information related with the ciphers will be stored in the per-cipher
data structure, isnt it?

address@hidden {Data Type} {pdf_crypt_algo_t}
+Enumeration of encryption algorithms provided.
address@hidden deftp

Note that we are using the convention of naming the enumeration data
types as 'enum pdf_XXX_e'. Also, we use to include the complete data
type name in the @deftp entry, as:

  @deftp {Data Type} {enum pdf_crypt_algo_e}
  @end deftp

address@hidden {Data Type} {pdf_crypt_t}
+A cipher. It contains data which is required between several calls to
+functions.
address@hidden deftp

The crypt module will implement several abstractions, one of which is
the 'cipher'. I would suggest to use a more explicit data type such as
'pdf_crypt_cipher_t' for ciphers.

Also, the functions operating in ciphers should be named after
'pdf_crypt_cipher_xxx'.

address@hidden pdf_status_t pdf_crypt_new (pdf_crypt_algo_t @var{algorithm},
pdf_crypt_t @var{*cipher})

Please use 'address@hidden' instead of '@var{*cipher}'

+The algorithm the cipher will use in order to encrypt or decrypt
+data. Possible values are:
address@hidden @code
address@hidden PDF_CRYPT_IDENTITY
address@hidden PDF_CRYPT_AESV2
address@hidden PDF_CRYPT_V2

Please document the possible values of the enumeration data type in
the appropriate @deftp entry.

address@hidden Encryption and decryption
address@hidden Encryption and decryption
+
address@hidden pdf_status_t pdf_crypt_setkey (pdf_crypt_t @var{cipher},
pdf_char_t  @var{*key}, pdf_size_t  @var{length})
+
+Set the key which will be used to encrypt and decrypt data. This
+function should be called each time @code{pdf_crypt_encrypt} or
address@hidden are called.

Is that restriction really needed?

address@hidden length
+The length of the key in bytes. Note that some algorithms could require
+a fixed length of key.
address@hidden table
address@hidden Returns
+A PDF status value:
address@hidden @code
address@hidden PDF_OK
address@hidden PDF_ERROR
address@hidden table
address@hidden table
address@hidden deftypefun

Since you can pass invalid parameters to this function
(pdf_crypt_cipher_setkey) would be good to have more detailed return
status values, such as PDF_EBADDATA for an invalid key (wrong key
length, etc).

Dont hesitate to define new values for pdf_status_t as needed.

address@hidden pdf_status_t pdf_crypt_encrypt (pdf_crypt_t @var{cipher},
pdf_char_t  @var{*out}, pdf_size_t  @var{outsize}, pdf_char_t  @var{*in},
pdf_size_t  @var{length})
+
+Encrypt a buffer. The ciphered text will be put in @var{out}.
+
address@hidden deftypefun

Please include information about parameters, return value, etc in
every @deftypefun entry.

Also note that if you call the first size parameter 'in_size' then
would be reasonable to do the same with 'out_size' ('length' name
may be confusing).

BTW, how do we know the size of the de/ciphered text? As far as I
understand it the *_crypt_size functions provides information about
the minimum buffer space required to hold the de/ciphered text, but
not the exact number of bytes.

address@hidden Usage example
address@hidden Usage example

We are including "Usage example" entries for every function documented
in the reference manual (into the @deftypefun block).

If you want to provide additional examples involving several functions
or non-simple examples then it is ok to include a subsection like
"Examples of use".