pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] using Check with Autotest (was Re: [Check-users] Projects us

From: Chris Pickett
Subject: [pdf-devel] using Check with Autotest (was Re: [Check-users] Projects using Check - GNUpdf)
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 15:55:22 -0500

Hi Sylvain,

That's great, I've added GNUpdf to our list, thanks for letting us know.

I looked at your testing architecture document a little. At some level you're probably going to want something higher level than Check. If you're using the Autotools, I would recommend the simple but effective Autotest system. In my own work, I actually have one Autotest test for each module in the library I'm developing.

https://svn.sable.mcgill.ca/sable/spmt/libspmt/tests/Makefile.am
https://svn.sable.mcgill.ca/sable/spmt/libspmt/tests/Makefile.tests.am

I also silenced the standard Autotest output, so that I get:

$ make check
[...gcc commands...]

=====================
 All 48 tests passed
=====================

with the above message coloured green, or:

$ make check
[...gcc commands...]

FAIL: buffer
============
Running suite(s): buffer
../src/buffer.c:76: failed assertion `buffer != NULL'
97%: Checks: 39, Failures: 1, Errors: 0
buffer.c:407:F:core:check_spmt_buffer_BRbit5_HWbit5_DEPENDENCE:0: Assertion '(DEPENDENCE () == 0)' failed

 1 of 48 tests failed
 Please report to chris.pickett AT mail.mcgill.ca

with the above message coloured red. I find this is much more easy for me to deal with when something goes wrong, and avoids two problems:

1) falling back to old habits and writing tests where I manually check the output each time

2) having to scroll back through a huge list of tests when something goes wrong to find what it is that happened.

Not sure if this is useful information for you, but maybe one of the other subscribers is interested.

Cheers,
Chris

Sylvain Beucler wrote:
Hi,

At the invitation of the project homepage, I inform you that the
GNUpdf project uses 'check' for unit testing :)

The GNUpdf project is developing a free, high-quality library that
implement the PDF file format (ISO 32000) - and hence need to assert
the quality and correctness of the library using an aggressive testing
strategy nick-named "Torture Chamber".

(more info at:)
http://www.gnupdf.org/manuals/gnupdf-hg.html/Testing-the-library.html

Cheers!