pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] GNUpdf and other PDF projects

From: Ralph Giles
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] GNUpdf and other PDF projects
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:33:43 -0800

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> The ghostscript people went ahead to write a new lightweight PDF
> interpreter called GhostPDF, independent from ghostscript. It seems
> (it is somewhat obscure) that Mupdf+Fitz is a proof of concept of that
> effort. I don't know if mupdf+fitz is still considered as a prototype
> nor the plans artifex may have for it.

"GhostPDF" is mostly a marketing term at this point. It's not useful
for distinguishing code bases.

We're not sure what we're going to do. We're well aware of maintenance
burden of having the PDF interpreter in PostScript. We may port mudpdf
to the gs graphics library, or maybe just spruce up mupdf+fitz. In any
case, we're slowly migrating things to C.

 -r