pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] IRC #pdf

From: Ralph Giles
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] IRC #pdf
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 22:23:55 -0700

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Jagadees S<address@hidden> wrote:

> How can i join the IRC group. I am new to gnu dev. I have pidgin running. I
> tried that, but no success.
> can somebody tell me how to use irc chat. How can get an account?

>From pidgin, go to 'Manage Accounts'. Click the 'Add' button. Under
Protocol, choose 'irc'. Enter a username you'd like to use, For
Server, enter irc.freenode.net. Leave the password blank. Click 'Add'
at the bottom to add the account. After several seconds it should show
you available on that account, and open an automatic message window
from freenode-connect.

Now, from your buddy list window select Buddies->Join a Chat. Make
sure the @irc.freenode.net account is selected. Enter '#pdf' (without
the quotes) for the Channel. Again leave the password blank. You
should then be able to talk on the channel.

IRC is more relaxed that other IM networks; you can register you
username with the particular server you're using, but it's optional. I
don't know how pidgin handles collisions; if you get an error about
the username or nick being in use, just try a different one. IRC is
mostly used for group chat, with private messaging as a side feature.
This is part of why it's so popular for open source collaboration.

Hope that helps,
 -r