pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] Offer a pair of helping hands

From: Johannes Tax
Subject: [pdf-devel] Offer a pair of helping hands
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:55:35 +0100

Hello,

as I want to give back to the free software community a small fraction
of what it is giving to me and as I want to learn something new I am
searching for a free software project to contribute to. Your project
seems to be interesting and challenging, and it seems that it is in
need of some helping hands, so I offer mine. Just some words to my
skills: in work I'm mostly doing C++ and Python, for personal use I
prefer C and Scheme. I am also familiar with Java, JavaScript and
POSIX sh scripting. I have not much experience with PDF internals, but
I am willing to learn.

For me completing the unit tests for the type 4 postscript functions
seems to be good task to begin with. Please let me know if you think
it is ok that I start to work on this. I have already had a glance at
the code and while I experimented with it a bit some questions came up:

1) What's the reference for your implementation? I have the PDF
reference 1.7 at hand; is it ok to use this? To me it seems that your
implementation of the type 4 functions does not comply to the 1.7
reference in the regard of the logical operaters (and, xor, not, or).
According to the reference they should support the corresponding
binary and logical operations, the gnupdf library only supports the
binary ones. Is this intented?

2) The current unit tests use predefined pdf type 4 functions. Is it
required to use test functions that have a real world use or can I
implement unit tests around functions that only make sense for testing
purposes?

Regards,
Johannes

--