pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Volunteer for documentation writing

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Volunteer for documentation writing
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 21:06:22 +0100

   My experience in writing user manuals has only been for software
   written by me, and probably 1/100th of the complexity and scope of
   the pdf project. I do have experience (long ago) using TeX and
   LaTeX, and have at least skimmed the Texinfo book, which I have. So
   I will certainly need help.

You can ask any doubt you may have in this mailing list.

   Is there any sort of draft already started? Or, barring that, is
   there an example the team considers particularly good that I could
   look to for guidance? Would I be working on it alone or with other
   authors?

There is no draft.  All you have to start is the Reference Manual and
any advise we can provide in this mailing list.  I will try to put you
in contact with some GNU hackers with experience in manual writing.

   I an an engineer by training, but not a software engineer. I have
   written C programs but for the most part only for my own use. So if
   I am required to read and understand the code in fine detail, that
   may be a problem.

Your experience programming in C is quite welcome (since your audience
will mainly be programmers wanting to write PDF related applications)
but not as much as your pedagogic and writing skills.

   As far as the license and copyright, that's no problem. I am a
   member of FSF and want to contribute to the free software community
   in some useful way.

Ok, thanks.  A private email follows with the legal details.

Thank you very much, and welcome :)

--
Jose E. Marchesi  <address@hidden>
                  http://www.jemarch.net