pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] Type 4 & implementation limits

From: Johannes Tax
Subject: [pdf-devel] Type 4 & implementation limits
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 22:31:09 +0100

Hello,

I have some questions regarding type 4 functions and implementation
limits. The specifiction says that an error must be raised if an
operation tries to exceed an implementation limit, so I assume the same
holds true for type 4 functions. I have seen some macros for library
specific limits (PDF_I32_MAX, no MIN defined yet), should those limits
also be used for the type 4 floating point return values or should
floating point specific limits be defined? If so I would also recommend
to add some special value that can be returned by the pdf_fp_* functions
to signal an over-/underflow, something similar to HUGE_VAL in libc.

The specification also explicitely allows that intermediate results of
type 4 functions do not fall under the implementation limit restrictions.
It would be possible to allow larger values for intermediate results,
as we are calculating with doubles but returning pdf_real_t (float). Is
this desirable? If so, against which limits should the intermediate
results be checked then? Against libc's limits?

Johannes

--
Johannes Tax
address@hidden