pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] Help setting up linux on a Mac

From: John de la Garza
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] Help setting up linux on a Mac
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 20:48:19 -0800

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 02:50:40AM +0000, Davis Pham wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I’m new to learning programming and I’m currently trying to teach myself
> using the textbook “Programming from the Ground Up” by Jonathan Bartlett.
> However I only have access using a MacBook Pro and the textbook teaches
> theory based on linux. Is it possible for me to install a linux program on
> Mac so that I would be able to follow the lessons provided? Without having to
> completely install a new operating system on my Mac?

great book...use 'brew' to install QEMU which will boot Linux

find and boot a Linux image that has dev stuff (which is typical) and
start using gas (gnu assembler) and the other Binutils stuff

you can even install Binutils on your mac, but if you want to do the book
with no changes (like system call numbers) you'll need to boot Linux