Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification (

From: Michael Meskes
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification (fwd)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:21:52 +0100

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:18:26AM -0800, Patrick J. Walsh (mr_e) wrote:
>       Ah, yes, I've seen the database description that Heiko sent me.  It
> conflicts with my own designs in a number of ways.  For example, it appears
> to allow only one category per contact, whereas cdb will allow multiple

This isn't that much of a difference DB wise. You have to take into account
that Heiko is writing his thesis about groupware and our "new" addressbook
is part of that. Thus we had to strip it down some or else he wouldn't be
able to finish on time.

> categories per contact.  Looking at it a little closer now I think I
> understand it a little be better.  It appeared to me before that an
> organization could have only one location, but I think perhaps that is not

Not really. :-)

> the case.  But how would you pick an address to propagate when
> importing/exporting/syncronizing?  And of course the tables that I am
> looking at are incomplete as they do not have room for phone numbers.

Oops, I thought you had a complete list.

>       Have you done any work on this yet?  Besides the database tables?

Yes of course. I think we are far enough to ask for a way to add the sources
to CVS, HEAD of course. :-)

>       As far as I could tell, the database tables that you sent me don't do
> anything that CDB doesn't already do.  Yours have fewer fields and fewer

Yes, as I said, we had to strip it down.

> tables, but CDB is intended to be able to grow with any kind of data by
> plugging in new tables.  For example, I would like to add a 'journaling'
> table that could be used to track calls, e-mails and appointments with
> certain contacts.

Hmm, isn't that what infolog does already?

>       So from what I have here, it doesn't make sense to merge them.  I
>       believe, perhaps arrogantly, that CDB is the more solid design and that
> there is little to merge.  Of course, if you have other work done on this,
> such as UI stuff, then there is a potential for merging.

Sure we have, that's the reason I wrote. :-)

Sorry for not being precise.

I think the best way would be to get our sources into CVS so you can have a
look at it. Comments anyone?

Heiko, are we there yet? Is our addressbook usable enough so others can try
it?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes