Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] password strength requirements

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] password strength requirements
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 01:58:40 -0700

btw, I can add support for checking against a dict file if the demand is good enough.
I might do it anyways for my own needs, but not right away.

Seek3r

Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) wrote:
I have added some password strength requirements which will eventually be configurable by the admin. The code is all in place (HEAD code only), but there is no interface for configuring the rules.

There are 4 configurable rules an admin can use, they are:

1) The minimum length a password must be
2) If it requires at least one non-alpha character (number or special char)
3) If it requires at least one numerical character
4) If it requires at least one special characher (not a number and not a letter).

These rules can all be mixed and matched as desired and are part of the server config.

Something like the following is a good set to at least require, but by default it requires nothing but at least 1 character.

$GLOBALS['phpgw_info']['server']['passwd_rules']['min_length'] = 7;

$GLOBALS['phpgw_info']['server']['passwd_rules']['require_non_alpha'] = True

$GLOBALS['phpgw_info']['server']['passwd_rules']['require_numbers'] = False; $GLOBALS['phpgw_info']['server']['passwd_rules']['require_special_char'] = False;

These rules are already implemented in the admin and the preferences->change_password.

You can experiement with these rules by adding them to your header.inc.php until we get an admin interface for them.

Seek3r