Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] New to the PHPGroupware list

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] New to the PHPGroupware list
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 03:31:15 +0000

Scott Courtney (address@hidden) wrote*:

>Good day, list members.
Welcome!

>One of the first things I will be looking into is how to easily share a common
>base installation of PHPGroupware from a read-only shared filesystem. This is
>not the same thing as the multiple-domain support already included. We actually
>need to have the configuration (including such things as database connection
>parameters) live in a file like /usr/local/etc/phpgroupware/config.php or
>similar, while the code itself is in /usr/share/phpgroupware or similar. The
>latter directory needs to be entirely read-only and sharable. This is because
>of specific needs related to our customer's virtual clustering environment.
>It is fairly easy to make part of this happen, but I expect things aren't
>trivial when you get into the header editing features and so on.
Normaly the header is written once for a site, then not again until the whole
thing
is upgraded.  Maybe if you use an environment var, like PHP_SELF or something,
in
the header.inc.php to do nothing other than an include of the real header file
for
the site.  Just a thought.

>Beyond the use of CVS and the online bug tracking system, are there other
>customs/rules/practices that relate to this particular project, of which I
>should be aware? I don't want to barge in and step on anyone's toes. In fact,
>I plan to largely be a "lurker" for a while as I familiarize myself more
>deeply with the source tree, before I start submitting hacks. But I am open
>to any suggestions folks who've been here a while would care to offer.
the #phpgroupware channel on irc.openprojects.net is a great place to lurk.
http://www.phpgroupware.org/irc.php for more info --side note-- why is this no
longer linked to from the main page?