Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] GTK... anyone?

From: Ralf Becker
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] GTK... anyone?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:24:25 +0200

Hi Michael,

I already have a running framework for phpgw which allows phpgw applications to run under phpGTK from the same source as the usual HTML Interface: This is achived by a new template type - called eTemplates - which work on a basis of widgets. From theses eTemplates a class generates a phpGTK or a HTML user interface. There is a turorial how to write phpgw apps with these new eTemplates ( http://www.phpgroupware.org/cvsdemo/etemplate/doc/etemplate.html) it has a screenshot of an app running with phpGTK and there is a working demo (which creates a own session on startup) in the eTemaplates app-directory.

There is still a lot to do, til we have phpgw running fully under phpGTK ...

I would like to here from you or lets meet in IRC (let me know when you will be there, I'm there only frequently).

Ralf

Michael Dransfield wrote:

I am looking into writing a PHP-GTK (http://gtk.php.net) application framework for phpgw. I have so far developed an application framework which can different GUI's into the main application. So long as modules keep to using class files for the major work, and templates for producing output, I dont see too much difficulty porting applications to work inside this framework.

GTK applications are different from web applications in these ways...

1: NO cookies or sessions.
2: Header calls and other HTTP related functions are not allowed (dont make sense) 3: Functions are called by using callbacks - these must be connected when the module is (re)loaded

The UI is built from glade files (xml files) and each module is loaded into this main window using glade-fragments (glade files which have been manually hacked so not to include a surrounding window or dialog).

I have written a function which simulates posting to a form (because register_globals is on), I have found that the most simple way to write an application is to use a index (switch file). I would then attach callbacks, which can then parse the module file XML file in the same way as a template and then load it into the application. Extra files could be included which can represent a dialog box. OK and cancel buttons can be added to replicate a HTML form.

I am having problems with session management and would like suggestions on the best way to proceed. I am not familiar with how all of the API works (in-fact, I am very unfamiliar with it). Could the session class be modified / extended to use constants instead of cookie/session vars. There is only one 'page' to the application so it will be available to all modules.

Maybe I should explain my reasoning for wanting such an applicatoin. I would like to have the ability to store emails on a local machine (in the same way as outlook does). I have written class extensions which can save and restore list-box values from files on the local machine. Would it be possible to add an OFFLINE mode which will make it possible to read emails/todo/calendar etc without connecting to the remote server (or using a local sql DB).

Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Regards
Mike

If anyone would like to have a look at the (patchy) application so far... write to me and ill send you a copy.