[Phpgroupware-developers] plans for a notification mechanism in the API?

From: totschnig . michael
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] plans for a notification mechanism in the API?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:34:30 -0500

Hello,

I want to add to a custom app we have developped a simple mechanism of
sending an email to one adress (a mailing list) when a new information
item is added. I have looked in the list archives and on the IRC logs
and found that the issue of notification per email comes up regularly
and that there is some support for it in the calendar app. And I
remember one post I cannot find again, where somebody told about
setting up something like a generic notification mechanism.

Is there any plan for developping such a mechanism in the API, that
would provide an app with simple functions to send any kind of email
to any kind of adress? If not, is there any interest of users to see
something like that happen? Do you have any special ideas of the
requirements for such a mechanism, should it be hook_based?

What would be most useful for me at the moment, were just an API
object, which could be initialized with an array of adresses, or
alternatively a list of user-IDs and either construct adresses based
on address@hidden or fetch them from LDAP, and some sort of
specification for content (ideally permitting multiple part MIME
emails) and that take care of sending the mails out.

My excuses if I missed something that is already obvious in the docs.

Regards,

Michael